Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life



Greek Row Chapter Houses

Greek chapter houses are considered off-campus properties. They are privately owned and operated by alumni corporations or inter/national organizations. On average, 2-4 people share a day room with desks, dressers, and closets. Most students sleep on a sleeping porch. Chapters provide meals via a cook, catering, or dining plans for their members. Fraternity Live-In Advisors and Sororities House Directors are hired by the organization and live in the house in order to advise house operations and help ensure safety. Laundry services vary, but many chapters offer the use of washers and dryers. Parking varies and first year students are discouraged from bringing a car. 


Multicultural Chapter Housing

Multicultural chapters in both UGA & NPHC do not have chapter houses.  Instead, their members often live in apartments and houses independently and conduct official business, programming, social events, and meetings at an on-campus location. 




First-Year Student Housing & University Approved Housing

Most students will live in the Residence Halls for their first year. Those participating in IFC & PHC Recruitment in August will need a Residence Hall contract and will move into their room and live there during Recruitment Week.  There are a few exceptions.  Each year, chapters who wish to house freshmen go through the University Approved Housing process. The CFSL checks to see that chapters have passed health and fire inspections, have liability and property insurance, and have met many other requirements. Chapters granted University Approved Housing status are able to invite freshmen to live in the facility. Due to large chapter sizes, not all fraternities/sororities choose to or are able to house new members during their freshman year. The majority of sorority women will live in a residence hall until they are able to move in the fall or spring semester of their sophomore year. Approximately half of fraternity freshmen live in the residence halls during fall semester and if space becomes available in the fraternity house, move in spring semester.  To live in a fraternity house as a first-year member, men must join a chapter over the summer and break their hall contract by July 15.


Reminder: ONLY members of chapters with University Approved House may break their contracts without penalty.


The following sororities were granted permission house first-year (freshman) members through the University Approved Housing process for the 2017-18 school year. The status of each will be updated as it is made available.

Alpha Chi Omega
 Alpha Delta Pi
 Alpha Gamma Delta 
 Alpha Omicron Pi
 Alpha Phi
 Chi Omega
 Delta Delta Delta
 Delta Gamma
 Gamma Phi Beta
 Kappa Alpha Theta
 Kappa Delta
 Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
 Sigma Kappa

The following fraternities were granted permission house first-year (freshman) members through the University Approved Housing process for the 2017-18 school year. The status of each will be updated as it is made available.

Alpha Tau Omega
Alpha Gamma Rho
 Beta Theta Pi
 Phi Kappa Theta
 Sigma Nu
 Sigma Phi Epsilon



  • What does UAH status mean?

    WSU requires all first- year students to reside in University Approved Housing which includes University-owned residence halls, and can include privately-owned fraternity and sorority houses that meet the annual requirements of the UAH policy. Through the annual approval process, fraternities/sororities must complete reports and provide documentation that they employ a trained live-in advisor or house director, maintain appropriate property and liability insurance, pass health, safety and fire inspections for the facility, and provide contact information for student leaders and alumni responsible for the overall operations and management of the individual chapter. Non-recognized fraternal organizations are not eligible for UAH status.

  • What are the limitations of UAH status?

    WSU generally does not inspect the premises of fraternities or sororities to ensure compliance with the law or with WSU policies and rules. Although WSU will take appropriate action when it becomes aware of a violation, in conferring UAH status, WSU relies largely on the representations of chapter leaders and fraternity/sorority alumni that they have met the UAH requirements, as well as the documentation submitted by the fraternity/sorority. Fraternity and sorority leadership and their local and national chapters remain solely responsible for all legal and contractual requirements for the operation, physical condition, maintenance, safety and security of their properties, and for their personal conduct and the conduct of their members.

    Further, although a fraternity or sorority may have an advisor who is a WSU faculty or staff member, neither that person nor any other WSU employee provides supervision over the fraternity's/sorority's day-to-day activities.This differs from a WSU residence hall, which provides on-site Residence Life staff to enforce WSU policies and to provide assistance to residents.

    By conferring UAH status, WSU does not guarantee or make representations concerning the safety or security of any fraternity or sorority. WSU cannot and does not supervise or control management or security on the properties. It cannot and does not guarantee that accidents or criminal activity will not occur on the properties. Further, WSU can make no assurances about the climate or culture of a particular house.

  • What should I do as a parent or student who is considering a fraternity or sorority?

    Students and parents remain solely responsible for their own inspection of the housing prior to entering into a contractual agreement with a fraternity or sorority, and for complying with and enforcing their agreement with the fraternity or sorority.

    Students and parents also should take the time and effort to carefully research the safety, security, reputation, background, and culture of any fraternity or sorority which the student is considering.

  • What is the process for moving into a chapter at the end of the semester?

    Students can terminate their residence hall contract at semester and move to their fraternity or sorority without penalty as long as they follow the proper termination and check-out procedures. 

    1. The student must complete an Authorization to Release form with the Chapter President signature and turn it into the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life (CFSL), located in CUB 315. This form must be turned into Megan Harre or Evan Englander in CFSL by DECEMBER TBD to ensure processing time.
    2. The student must submit an online termination - residence hall termination request, which is done at The student will receive an automated email when the termination is submitted, and another when the termination is approved. 
    3. The student must check out at the front desk of the residence hall on their approved termination date.

    Please note that failure to complete these steps by December 17th at 10:00 am will result in a denial of the termination and the student will not be released from their contract with WSU Housing. If you have any other questions please let us know.

  • If I move into a fraternity/sorority will I be charged a fee?

    No, if the check out process is completed properly.  Students moving from residence halls to fraternities or sororities are never charged a cancellation penalty or termination fee and can avoid daily housing and dining charges in the Spring semester by checking out properly at the end of the fall semester.  Proper check out includes: completing all necessary forms, signing out properly with the residence hall, and completing all necessary steps by the specified date.

  • What about alcohol in chapter houses?

    • Every chapter at WSU is required to follow state laws that limit alcohol possession and consumption to people 21 years of age or older. 
    • All sororities are required to be alcohol free by their membership in the National Panhellenic Conference. 
    • Chapters with a GPA below 2.80 are placed on academic probation and are required to be alcohol free.
    • Entries on this page for fraternities were determined by examination of chapter lease agreements.  Other documents, such as the rules and regulations of the national fraternity, may also govern alcohol use or tobacco use in the chapter facility.